Saturday, January 20, 2007

TiVo replacement, Usenet automation

I recently helped a friend of mine set up his system at home the way mine is set up for downloading and watching TV shows (some specifics of his were a bit different, but the same stuff applies). This has made my life an incredible amount easier, so I thought I'd share with those that want to know.

Intro: (read if you want to know why I care about SABnzbd)

This brings us to SABnzbd. I'm sure it stands for something. I have no idea what that is. SABnzbd is a wonderful little program that runs in the background on your computer and can watch for what you want, download it, verify it's integrity, extract it and delete all but what you really want. And this is all in the background!

Speaking of background, I need to explain what an NZB file is. As I began looking for more obscure shows (SciFi's Taken comes to mind) I had to start looking in bigger and bigger groups. There is a group called alt.binaries.multimedia that most often contains well over 2,000,000 headers. If you want to find something in that group, you download all 2,000,000+ headers, then look through them for what you want. Well this is a rediculously long process. So someone came up with the idea of NZB files. An NZB file is simply an xml file that contains "pointers" to usenet postings. So if a new episode of The Office gets posted somewhere on usenet, rather than search everywhere for it, I might obtain an NZB file pointing to all I need to get that episode. So that's what an NZB file is. I'll explain later how to get them.

Back to SABnzbd. You might notice the NZB there in the middle of the name. This program only works with these files. You can't download headers with it.

Now, with all that said, it's finally time to set it up. First you'll need to download it from http://sourceforge.net/projects/sabnzbd/. When it's extracted, you'll have a series of folders along with some files. Before running it the first time, open up SABnzbd.ini. It's fairly well documented with comments, so I'd recommend taking a look at all that's there and changing whatever you need to or want to change. Note that in the folder config section it will refer to the current folder as . and use / to specify a subdirectory, rather than \.

Much of what's there can be configured from the web interface, but I prefer having most of it in place before I start the program. Now that that's done, go ahead and double click SABnzbd.exe. Most likely you'll see a DOS box pop up and go away fairly quickly. I thought this was rather strange the first time it happened to me, but it turns out that all the interface is in a local web page. This page can be addressed (if you've left all the defaults in the config file) at http://localhost:8080/sabnzbd.

So that about wraps it up for configuring SABnzbd. I hope to write one or two more blogs this weekend about this. I still need to discuss news servers and nzb file providers. I suppose this is kinda backwards, so I hope you'll forgive me!

No comments: